Friday, March 6, 2009

Evangelicals and Economics- The Changing Landscape?

Hunter Baker has an excellent piece up at First Things called Evangelicals and Economics: Reflections of a Conservative Protestant

He gives a intro to this piece at Evangelicals and Economics: First Things Online. I think he hits on something and might add I heard similar things coming from much of the grassroots of the Huckabee fans during the election.

Let me add I am not sure this was always the case. I think the absolute war on basic Christian principles and LIFE issues in the 70's caused Evangelicals to have to pick their battles. Also it is not like the Catholic Church. They have no Pope and no unified voice. We have one and still people debate the nuances of economics and Catholic Social Justice left and right. I imagine as to Evangelcials and the huge diverse body that is it is much easier to agree on culutural and life issues than the various shades of economics.

Still these evangelicals (at least in the South) were for many decades very populist and I think such concerns were seen.

On a Catholic note I wish to repost this excellent article Pope Benedict’s Economic Realism

No comments: