Monday, November 15, 2010

GOProud , The Tea Party , The GOP and The Pro-Life Movement (Update)

Updated- Joe Carter at First Things is not so quite as diplomatic as I try to be below. See Are Tea Party Leaders Destroying the Movement?

Update II- HMM I saw this Tweet from one of the people I mention below:
Note to @CWforA taxpayer funding for abortion, stem cell or Plan Prnthd is a SPENDING issue not a social issue. #GOProud

American Catholic has a post on some of the tensions between the Tea Party and social conservatives. See Tea Party leaders not interested in pro-life, pro-family policy?

Now at times I think these tensions are overblown but they are they there no doubt. I am of the opinion that importance of social issues within the Tea party will often follow a regional pattern.

The PDF letter that is cited is interesting. In many ways it seem that the fact it cites so few Tea party folks would indicate that perhaps people are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

That being said one name caught by eye. That was Jimmy LaSalvia Executive Director, of GOProud . Also Christopher R Barron Chairman of the Board, GOProud signed it also.

GOProud is the up and coming Republican gay group that appears might be giving the established Log Cabin Republicans a run for their money.

From what I can see on the whole , despite a few high profile conservative objections, the relationship between many GOProud and many social conservatives that are Republicans have been cordial. They have agreed to disagree on such subjects as gay marriage, and the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell.

Jimmy LaSalvia in fact is going to appear and talk to a Pro-Life group at George Washington University on Tuesday, November 16. That is the Colonials For Life. This has got some coverage from the gay rights advocates on the left that support abortion rights. See from LEZGETREAL GOProud’s Jimmy LaSalvia To Speak Before Anti-Women’s Rights Group At GWU.

Now the article has a TON of misinformation in it I will not address about abortion and the Catholic Church.

On Colonial life for Life Facebook page

Jimmy LaSalvia I am excited to have this opportunity to meet GWU students and have this discussion. While my organization, GOProud, doesn't take a position on abortion, I certainly do personally. I look forward to sharing my thoughts and talking with all of you on the 16th.
November 3 at 11:16pm ·LikeUnlike · Comment

Now I welcome gay pro-life folks into the movement. They do exist. However I hope he is questioned about this. While he might not be taking a offical GOPROUD position he does seem to be advocating that pro-life groups be quiet in the political square this year (or maybe longer). That seems to be very close to taking a position on abortion to me in some ways.

My two cents is that this would be a mistake. The pro-life community was crucial in almost derailing the Health Care bill last year because of abortion concerns. It was critical in the election of the Governor of New Jersey(as well as other social conservative groups). It was critical and provided for the people in the trenches in getting many conservative Republicans elected.

Much has been made in the TEA PARTY over the GOP must get the message. Already we see the Tea Party about to go to war over those that support earmarks. Well for some pro-life issues and other social concerns are right up there if not more important than such things as earmarks and other Tea Party issues. Social conservatives have every right to hold the people they helped get elected feet to fire on certain issues as does the Tea party.

Now I am not saying the TEA PARTY or GOPROUD has to become pro-life. In fact I think it is best for them that they stay to their core issues. However when it becomes active in trying to prevent social conservative concerns from being heard and acted upon the question becomes are they neutral at all.

Again I applaud the head of the GOPROUD for speaking at WSU tomorrow. That takes some guts in the gay community and perhaps among the gay libertarian community. I just hope we get some enlightenment from him what his view of us in the party is and what we can and should not do.

Again I have no agenda to start some sort of war here. I realize there will be issues that there will be disagreement on. We see that among all the factions of the conservative movement and Republican party. But I do think as to issues dealing with pro-life concerns we should be asking questions just so we know where everyone stands. Hopefully as to GOProud those clarification will come tomorrow night.

2 comments:

Shirodhara said...

I wasn't aware of the many ripples and depth to this story until I surfed here through Google! Great job.

Ayurveda Training said...

I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information. Looking to reading your next post.