Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Whoa Justice Stephen Breyer Said What On Good Morning America

I knew I should have been paying more attention this morning to GMA.



Last week we saw a Florida Pastor – with 30 members in his church – threaten to burn Korans which lead to riots and killings in Afghanistan. We also saw Democrats and Republicans alike assume that Pastor Jones had a Constitutional right to burn those Korans. But Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer told me on "GMA" that he's not prepared to conclude that -- in the internet age -- the First Amendment condones Koran burning.
“Holmes said it doesn’t mean you can shout 'fire' in a crowded theater,” Breyer told me. “Well, what is it? Why? Because people will be trampled to death. And what is the crowded theater today? What is the being trampled to death?”.



Whoa!!! Justice Ginsburg former ACLU gal need to go over and bop some sense in his head.

Dear Breyer. The printing press back then was the internet of the day.

2 comments:

RC2 said...

Actually, I think Breyer's right --it's not a first amendment issue. Hadley Arkes explains why.
http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/2010/09/pastor-jones-and-the-law-as-it-used-to-be

James H said...

Thanks for the link I just skimmed it and I intend to read it more later. I get and slightly agree with where Haley is coming from I think the issue if for me is I don't think Haley is reacting to some of the concerns that I have about how Breyer seems to view it. I am going to do another post on this later today or tommorow interacting with it. Thanks again