Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Problem With "Married Catholic Priests" Newspaper Articles

Tip of the hat to the Deacon Bench for this.

The Tennessean has a article on a former Episcopal Priest that will be becoming a Priest for the Diocese of Nashville. See Married Catholic priest will be Nashville diocese's first.

It is a good article on the whole. I actually find the Episcopal angle here to be more interesting and I suspect would be interesting to the local Episcopal readership.

However the main theme of the article is "Should Catholic Priests be married" which is of course a story line we have seen a million times.

The Priest shortage angle is of course mentioned.

A few things as to that.

Why is not mentioned that other Liturgical bodies are starting to see vocational problems. In fact talking to a local evangelical recently she mentioned that they were seeing signs of it there.

However the biggest fault is the people that write these articles seem unaware that in many places vocations are going good. It is a critical part of the story that is often missing and thus makes a important story incomplete. We see this all the time.

Why for instance is the secular University of Texas A and M producing vocations galore(not just to the Priesthood) and some major Catholic colleges are not. Why are there many Dioceses from rural to urban in the United States that have had major upswings in Vocations over this decade. They are all over the country but rarely get mentioned in these stories.

What is happening there and why is there no Priest shortage compared to other places. Of course for the "we need married Priests crew" it is against their interest to mention this.
However it needs to be talked about. I think Catholics would be very interested to know there are Dioceses in the United States where vocations are going very good. They might starting asking questions in their own Diocese about Why that is not happening there.

3 comments:

Andy said...

I am not a Roman Catholic. And, I'm pretty sure this is the first time I have commented, even though I have been reading your blog for a good while now.

I am a Protestant. And, I was in the ministry for a good long while as a Pastor. The point you make about "other Ligurgical bodies" having problems is spot-on.

In the particular denomination I was a part of, it was common to see ministers only "last" for a brief time. I once read an article in our monthly magazine that stated (paraphrasing here) "Only one of four of our newly ordained ministers will be in the ministry after four years."

It's a tough job. I know. It can suck the life (and love...if you let it) from you. I'm not saying that Protestant clergy have it any tougher than Roman Catholic Priests do here...but, when you have a wife and kids (that are subject to as much, if not more scrutiny than you are), it does wear one down.

Once again, I don't know anything about the Priest shortage. But, I can certainly understand WHY there may be one. Personally, I don't think it has much to do with celibacy. Probably more to do with the emotional (and spiritual) demands.

I can't speak at all to why Catholic Universities are behind the curve. As I said, I'm truly ignorant on the whole thing

Just my two cents.

btw: I'm really enjoying your posts. And, even though I am a HUGE LSU fan...I'd kinda have liked to see our Gents knock 'em off...ya' know...hometown pride and all.

James H said...

Thanks Andy

I glad you commented I recalled you commened before and wanted to adf you to the links

I think in a sense the clergy problem is a both a spirtual and laity educated problem.

After Vatican II and great deal of confusion came in and bad teaching. So we are just getting over that.

I think it has hit the Protestant bodies a bit later. It seems that even in traditional solid Protestant communities the Faith education has gone down a lot.

I was talking to a Baptist Minister the other day that a lot of traditioanl Baptist Doctrines or for that Matter just Nicene Creed Doctrines such as the Trinity seems not to be understood like it used too

So I think that is part of it.

ALso I think it gets wearing for many Ministers because of all the new hats Ministers are suppose to wear and with the ever increasing demnads of Congregations that want various things

James H said...

Oh Also I have to admit I would not mind seeing the Gents win one today since LSU has laready won the series