Sunday, February 28, 2010

Catholic Dorms at State Colleges

Aggie Catholic has a interesting post here at "Does The Christian God Exist" Debate . To see the vids and more on the main topic of the post go there. However I was struck by this.

Below is a nice debate at St. John's Catholic Newman Center at the University of Illinois. They do some very nice work, and are especially known for their excellent program of theology, especially having classes in Catholic thought for credit at the University (we are working toward this here at St. Mary's). They are also known for their large Catholic dorm, Newman Hall, which houses hundreds of students in the heart of campus (another project we are working toward here at St. Mary's). They are generally regarded as one of the best campus ministries in the country, along with St. Lawrence at The University of Kansas as well as us here at St. Mary's.

Here is the description of the debate:

.....

We Catholics seem to focus a lot on what is going wrong or right at Catholic Colleges but what about Secular Universities where the vast majority of Catholics go?

I have discussed Texas A @ M in detail as a place that produces a incredible amount of vocations. I am Glad they are pointing out two other schools that should be on our radar.

I like the concept of Catholic Dorms. It would not be every one's cup of tea of course. I am not sure I would have done that. But it seems like a good idea and option.

In my home state at Southeastern University I think there was a Catholic dorm there once. I think that at places like LSU, ULL , Nicholls, and McNesse here in my State that would be a interesting idea to look at.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi are using Wordpress for your site platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm
trying to get started and create my own. Do you
need any html coding expertise to make your own blog?
Any help would be really appreciated!

Here is my blog post :: vegetales