Saturday, February 20, 2010

Notre Dame Baseball Playing In Middle of No Where Mississippi?

What?

Boy I know these teams from North are frantic to play down south so they can play and escape un baseball like consitions early in the season but Greenwood? It is a shame LSU and Notre Dame did not hook up for this weekend. That would have been a ton of fun and generated a ton of excitement.

A good story on the first game (Notre Dame won!!!) and how the game happened here.

They appear to be having a good time. THEY ATE AT THE FAMOUS DOE'S!!

The whole article is pretty good.
Here is a part:

...................They arrived in Greenville Thursday, practiced there and visited Greenville St. Joseph School, where the athletic teams are known as the Fighting Irisha catfish feast, with both teams attending, was planned for later Friday night. A Notre Dame visit to the famous Doe's Eat Place in Greenville also is planned. "You'll enjoy it," Shanks told Shrage of Doe's. "That's not in our budget, trust me."
Southern hospitality
Said Shrage, "The people here couldn't be nicer. They are treating us like royalty, and we appreciate it."
Notre Dame shows its appreciation just by being here.
"I hope this helps Doug (Shanks)," Shrage said. "He does a fantastic job here, and I know what he's up against. I haven't always been at Notre Dame."
Shanks has a total operating budget of $32,000, not counting coaching salaries. That's equipment, travel, field management, everything. Notre Dame spends more than that on its slick, 206-page media guide.
And yet, Shanks' Delta Devils have won five of the last seven SWAC Eastern Division titles. Five of his current players have a perfect 4.0 GPA. The team GPA is 3.09.
"We try to do it the right way, but I'm not gonna kid you and tell you it's not tough, because it is," the white-haired Shanks said. "I'm about to start a fund-raising drive. I'm determined that these Ragamuffins are going to have a place to shower before I leave here."


By the way I not downing Mississippi Valley which has really really improved. Heavens they gave LSU fits last year in a game.

I wonder what they think of the Delta? I always like driving through that area when I visit my grandmother in Cleveland Ms and Merigold.



No comments: