Friday, February 5, 2010

Did Senator Mary Landrieu have the Most Expensive Temper Tantrum Ever?

Yesterday Senator Mary Landrieu went to the Senate floor and defended the so called Louisiana Purchase deal. National Review has a link here at Shut Your Mouth When You're Talking to Me.

I find this all counterproductive though I am a tad sympathetic to Mary Landrieu here.

These needed funds are because of a bizarre unforeseen consequences in Medicaid funding that occurred because of the Hurricane. Leaving Louisiana with a big ole Budget hole that must be filled. It is quite different from the Nebraska deal. She is also quite correct that most elected Louisiana Republicans see getting this money as a dire need.

So I feel for here. Also I was not pleased that a lot of conservatives were using the "whore" word as to Landrieu in this regard. That really has no place.

However this is all so counterproductive. I was hoping that Landrieu would go on the Senate floor and make a bi partisan case for these funds?

Instead it was a rant!! Now if she wants to call out people she needs to spread it around. Why oh why are the Democrats that yelled for years "Bush Laughed people die", rode Hurricane Katrina to death , etc appears to be holding Louisiana and its poor hostage over these funds.

Now in some ways I see why Landrieu has a right to fight back. Yet I really wonder if it was worth a potential 30o million dollars to sooth Landrieu's hurt feelings.

I mean how about getting this funding out of the health care bill that seems doom to fail?

There also seems to again more indication that Vitter and Landrieu don't get along. Well ok. Still I am not sure that is worth 300 million dollars to vent over that.

Was any of this productive?

I really hope it was because I have no idea how Louisiana can make up this budget deficit. If we don't get these fund we might as well make all the Universities Vo[techs after the budget axe comes down.

No comments: