Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Mother Angelica Gets Highest Papal Honor

Mother Angelica did not take kindly to those clerics who questioned her authority to showcase some bishops, but not others. ‘I happen to own the network,’ she instructed. When told that this would not be forever, she let loose: ‘I'll blow the damn thing up before you get your hands on it.’”

Oh goodness got to love her. It is pretty amazing some Catholic Network based in Alabama had such a world wide presence.

I can recall when she came on the scene. It was the most innovative Catholic thing media wise I have ever seen. Her critics must acknowledge if they are honest she filled a crucial void.

I was a Baptist Teenager and I came across her channel on my grandparents satellite dish. I was fascinated. My Aunt would yell why in the hell are we watching this Mass from Nova Scotia on EWTN turn it to the news. I was just in Heaven. I was going "what is this" and "why are we not doing this at Church" A good bit of my interest and later conversion to Catholicism can be credited to their network. I lived out in the sticks and I bought a shortwave radio so I could listen to her worldwide radio show.

Pro Ecclesia has more at Pope Awards Highest Honor to EWTN Founder Mother Angelica

3 comments:

Chris Osgood said...

I had no idea you are a convert from the Baptist faith!

James H said...

Oh Yeah I Was raised a Southern Baptist

Mary Ellen said...

That's so cool that you converted because of EWTN, I had no idea.

Our cable stations doesn't carry it but I will check the website from time to time to see what's going on.

It's funny because my daughter married a guy that was Protestant (Methodist) and they were married in our church. No one in the groom's wedding party were Catholic and it was the first time they had ever gone inside a Catholic Church. We have a very old Parish that looks like a little Cathedral, really beautiful. They were just amazed but were afraid of messing up during the ceremony. So, they told my son who was only 8 years old and the ring-bearer that they would watch him and follow his lead.

Being the little stinker he is, he kept making little hand motions that had nothing to do with Catholicism, but looked "official" and they went right along with it. At first I had no idea what my son was doing, thought maybe he was just really nervous and fidgety. Then when I saw the guys doing it (looking all serious) I couldn't help but laugh.

I wish I had it on film. We informed the guys they were duped when we left the church...they laughed and said it was good because by the time the ceremony was over, they were sure Catholics were all crazy.

*The wedding was only a ceremony, not a Mass. My daughter wanted to be respectful to his parents because they were very much anti Catholic and appalled their son was getting married in front of a priest in a Catholic Church.