Friday, October 9, 2009

Glen Beck Cries So Much Because He is Mormon

Get Religion has a interesting piece on Glen Beck and Mormon Faith. See Exploring Glenn Beck’s beliefs. It links a article that examines his faith. Some of this I have heard before but this interesting tidbit I did not:

Beck’s oft-ridiculed penchant for punctuating his tirades with tears is the hallmark of a distinctly Mormon mode of masculinity. As sociologist David Knowlton has written, “Mormonism praises the man who is able to shed tears as a manifestation of spirituality.” Crying and choking up are understood by Mormons as manifestations of the Holy Spirit. For men at every rank of Mormon culture and visibility, appropriately-timed displays of tender emotion are displays of power.
Interesting!!

Update?

Are Mormon Politicos emotional in Public? I have to admit I can never recall Hatch or Reid being like that? Of course what they do on Nevada and Utah who knows. Still interesting

1 comment:

Paul Bernacchio said...

I did not know that Glen Beck is a Mormon. Here is my take on him. I find him over the top with regards to the "sky is falling", catastrophic message that appeals to ultra conservatives. That being said, the fact that he is hated by the main stream media, and an active campaign to discredit him is going on, tells me that he has touched a nerve with liberals and that's a good thing.