Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Daughters of the American Revolution Hates Adopted People

Excuse my lack of posting the last couple of days.

My Mother informed me since she was retired one of the things she wanted to do was to become a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

My mother and the Internet does not not mix. She has to get my help in accessing her Bank account for goodness sake.

So I am taking it on my self to find the American Revolution ancestor in my family. This in my free time has made me do a lot of research the past week

I had a great line I was researching but the census records noted that my Great Grand father was adopted!!! The DAR say so sorry!! WTF?

I called them up and they said that line was a no go. That sort of makes me mad me because I am adoptee. I might not have the DNA of the line but I have the upbringing of that line and I am proud of it. So despite the DAR I consider those people as kin. and part of my heritage.

UGH!!!

Thankfully I have find a line for my mother through my Grand mother to a huge Revolutionary hero. So big the Government gave him a land grant in Mississippi for his service

So I think I will get her in. But it makes me mad because I cannot pinpoint by birth parents so I nor any future children of mine cannot be part of the DAR.

That Sucks!!!

5 comments:

Joe said...

you couldn't be part of the DAR anyway ... you're not a daughter

i guess i sort of understand, seeing as the DAR is a sort of elitist organization that worries extensively about bloodline when bloodline isn't really as important as they say it is.

Pro Ecclesia said...

Try getting into the Society of the Cincinnatus.

Unless you're the firstborn son of a firstborn son of a firstborn son, etc., etc. going all the way back to an OFFICER (not just a veteran) of the American Revolution, you're SOL.

James H said...

LOL that is true Joe

Aow Jay I have never heard fo that organziation That sounds pretty cool

Pro Ecclesia said...

Sorry, I got the name wrong. It's The Society of the Cincinnati.

http://www.societyofthecincinnati.org/

It was considered overly aristocratic even in the early days of the Republic. It's damned anacronistic by today's standards. I mean, membership passes by primogeniture? WTF?

From Wikipedia:

"Some, including Thomas Jefferson, were alarmed at the apparent creation of a hereditary elite; membership eligibility is inherited through primogeniture, and excludes enlisted men and in most cases militia officers, unless they were placed under "State Line" or "Continental Line" forces for a substantial time period."

Anonymous said...

I understand your frustration but hate isn't involved. Blood line follows the linage from requester thru ancestor line to the Patriot. Known as SAR for males & DAR for females. Linage must be proven for any Patriot and with documentation, a must. A Patriot is also deemed by the founding of our Country via of Patriotic support, exmpl., providing assistance, Shelter, showing the way, etc., in such a manner to support the Militia, thereby their also then considered a Patriot, again with their documentation proof. Its not elitist but it is passed on through the blood lines of the Patriot to the founding Birth of our Country. Lots of home work in tracing all lines back from the member requesting going up to the patriot. Requester also needs proof of birth, divorce, death, census, etc., along with the Patriots needed documentation.

Finding the Patriot within Dar/Sar is only the 1st leg in the journey. Look for a Local Chapter in your area for better assistance. Most hold Mthly meetings and many will assistance you with your documentation needs and the journey.

If your serious about honoring your "Patriot," the time is worth it. DAR/SAR continue to support our Troops in many ways. I wish you the best with your Patriots. God Bless Your Patriot and God Bless America