Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Breast feeding At Mass - Yea or Nay?


This has been a topic for some reason on a few Catholic sites. The Anchoress talks about it here at Nursing at the mall and at mass. I am very agreeable with what she is saying. However this comment that was left sadly I agree with too.

I have worked part time jobs “with the public” for a number of years and many of the things I have seen are shocking. At a table right next to the buffet at a large hotel a woman opened her blouse (exposing both breasts) and nursed her child and this is not the most shocking behavior I have seen. I think that sort of thing is the problem, but it makes it difficult for more responsible people when so many take liberties.

That is the problem. People taking vast liberties. Give a inch take a mile. I

I do wonder in a age of College Students taking the Host hostage , people chewing gum in line for communion, Catholics treating Catholic Communion like a Baptist Communion service, Catholics not going to Confession for years and going to Communion, that is a complete unawareness and ignorance of the Sacred that is going on all around them, if American Catholics are at the spiritual maturity level to have breast feeding at mass.

Until Catholics realize that something extraordinary is going on should we be introducing more "ordinary"?

Just putting them out here. If I was in rural Mexico I would say no problem. At my Church down the street? Not so sure

I can be persuaded though.

By the way if you really want to see what the Early Church thought about Breast feeding go here

Update- Full Circle has very good thoughts here on this subject

3 comments:

William Eunice said...

I am posting about this on my blog and linking to you ...

Jodi said...

I have six kids and if I had to leave Mass every time one wanted to nurse I would get to Mass maybe sometime when I am 50 years old. My husband doesn't always come with me either - so am I supposed to leave all the rest of them in the pew? If we are going to ban breastfeeding in Mass why don't we just kick out all kids while we are at it.

James H said...

You have a point Jodi. I guess I must be blind since I never noticed all this Breast feeding occuring at Mass.

Maybe it iccuring in the "cry room".

Like I said I am very sympathatic to it.