Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Do Europeans Really Know All These Different Languages?

I keep hearing they do. The Anchoress touches on the latest Obama speaks controversy at Obama: Europeans so much better than Americans!

First let me say I sort of see Obama point. I do think it is helpful and good that Americans(like kids in schools) know other languages. This was part of a Classical education at one time. I say lets compromise and



bring back Latin that helps a person pick up several languages. That now that would be big and helpful. However I don't think Obama has that Vision.

But getting to the point. From what I hear every one in Europe speaks all these different tongues. If I went to a Bus Driver in England could we have a conversation in German? Could I discuss Politics in Spanish with the person that runs the Movie Rental Place in Denmark? Or is this sort of a myth that is overblown a Tad? Did People In Rome learn Polish so they could converse with all the PIlgrams during the years of John Paul the II?

As to Obama statement I commented over at the Anchoress site:

I think Obama is being very clever here.
Many will see it like the Anchoress does. However some will go overboard and it will become sort of immigrant bashing by the usual suspects.(UPDATED SADLY THIS ALREADY HAPPENING ON SOME BLOGS)


So I am not thrilled with this controversy.Because I think it will backfire.

I think Obama of course said it wrong and in fact perhaps indicates an view of American that is a a tad sad.

However I cannot really disagree with this when he says: “You know, no, I’m serious about this. We should understand that our young people, if you have a foreign language, that is a powerful tool to get ajob. You are so much more employable. You can be part of international business. So we should be emphasizing foreign languages in our schools from an early age, because children will actually learn a foreign language easier when they’re 5, or 6, or 7 than when they’re 46, like me”

Should Kids learn Spanish? Well I guess so if we are going to have a foreign language. Japan is shutting down and Europe is birth controlling themselves out of existence.

Latin and South American is where our trade shall be. Look at Houston that is now the Financial and Capital Trade gateway to South American.

The fact that Obama recognizes this but is against the Columbia Free Trade Agreement of course is another irony all together

No comments: