Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Most Beautiful Rosary I Have Ever Seen

Creative Minority Report currently has two stories that are night and day as to two Catholics. For the bad, depressing "Catholic" Story I commented on it here at Eucharist Outrage of the Decade- University of Central Florida College Student Holds Eucharist Hostage and Excommunicates Himself!!

However there are more important signs of faith out there than self indulgent college students that use their faith and it's most Sacred Mysteries as a punchline.

There is the incredible story of Ingrid Betancourt who was held by terrorists in Columbia. Like Creative Report, I found her story compelling. The hell she and the other hostages went through can not even be imagined

That is the Rosary (the above pic) she made that was one of her lifelines for those long years. Go see Creative Minority's post To Forgive, Divine

Again it is night and day between Ingrid Betancourt and Mr Webster Cook of the University of Central Florida that now tries to hide his sacrilege as some grand political point. I can just imagine how Mrs Betancourt hungered for the Blessed Sacrament all those years in the Jungle.

However putting Mr Webster as the sort of the "Anti Betancourt" is not enough. The question we Catholics that are living much more comfortable lives is if we are more like Mr Cook or more like Betancourt.

Do we take advantage of Mass? Do we prepare ourselves for Mass? Do we Pray? Do we take those beautiful rosaries we buy and pray to the Blessed Virgin like Betancourt?

Speaking for myself I have not at times and perhaps I have taken my faith for granted too much. How easy is it for Catholics to become the the Mr Cooks when God gives us the grace to become the Betancourts

She has been a huge inspiration and a cause of some looking inward to me this week .I hope she is too others.

No comments: