Thursday, July 3, 2008

Blog Pet Peeve- Blogs that Go Private!!!

Anyone else have this drive them up the wall?

I have that cool little device on my sidebar where I can see what posts are getting hits. SO many of my hits are posts that I wrote months and months ago.

Some of these post really engaged another blog's insight and text. The problem is when they go private it all you get is a "Your not Invited Message"

This is very much akin to when a person without notice "deletes" their blog.

Now I understand why some bloggers want to go private. However I wish they would consider just developing a new blog and keeping their old one up and public.

When a blog goes private or is deleted it really shows the drawbacks of this media.

That hit me when the wonderful Blog Ponifications was hacked!!! Pontifications is the blog of a former Episcopal priest that became Catholic. His posts were magnificent and what was special about his blog was the comment section. I Learned more about the faith and other faiths through interaction with the people in his comment section than any book I read. Now after it was hacked most of that is gone never to be recovered. If I could go back in time I would have invest couple of hundred dollars in ink and paper printing out posts and their comment sections to make a hard copy.

A similar thing happens when a blog deletes their blog or goes private. Including a few I have linked. Now of course people can do anything they want. But it is a shame that such good work is lost. When people are considering deleting their blog or going private please consider if a lot of people have linked to you in the past and found your material engaging enough to offer their own thoughts and insights about it.. Think of this media as when people used to engage other people's thoughts in the newspapers with dueling columns that went on for some time and was a important contribution to the public.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey James! Two things, I promise that I will never go private on my blog. [grin]

AND I am putting together a list of Catholic Blogger's favorite listening material. I'd love to have your contributions!!

James H said...

Thank GOd for that

OH I will def give my contributions