Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Should Catholics Boycott This Weekend's Campaign for Human Development Collection?

Well I would say depends. I think the Bishops need to know we have major concerns over where some of this money is going. I think a good start would be if this money just went to Catholic groups. Now the reason for this in my view is many (there could be some exceptions) but there would be better accountability for one.

Deal Hudson has two articles up on this today over at Inside Catholic. First one that gives a overview here at Catholic Group Announces Boycott of CCHD and how one Diocese is responding to the PR problem here at Diocese of Charleston Redirects CCHD Collection

ACORN is just the tip of the problem and I have to think if it was for not FBI raids and various investigations the problems would not have come to light. The problem I have is I don't think the Bishops are really clear where some of this money is going to. I don't think they think about it.

One reason I am anxious not to exactly support a flat out boycott is the people that would be hurt. Let me note that even in the most Orthodox of Diocese they are pointing at this collection is needed for local concerns. For instance the Catholic Diocese of Kansas City has a pretty Orthodox. They are trying to get the word out on what this funds go and that they have recognized there was a problem and have and are dealing with it.


Still the concerns of many priests , including one Louisiana blogging priest I post a good deal have not gone away totally. For instance see Father Z's post where he post Father Neuhaus extensive thoughts here at Fr. Neuhaus on “Obama and the Bishops” (scroll half down to where he gets into this particular collection)

I am shying away from a Catholic Boycott because
(1) I think such a thing by the laity should be a huge last resort and in fact avoided as to Collections
(2) I think the Bishops should be given a chance to investigate what is going on
and
(3) In these tough economic times a lot of people could get hurt.

Still I can understand why people are calling for one. I think there needs to be a huge revamping of where this money goes and openness. I hope and pray that just because the memories of the past election cycle fade that this is not forgotten. If so I might be singing a different and more forceful tune next year

In the end I would use this as an opportunity to call you local Diocese Office and ask questions where this money is going. If you get the cold shoulder well I would probably boycott. However I expect they will engage you in a productive way which is good for all parties in the long run.

All I know is that there needs to be some changes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please don't worry about people being hurt by the boycott. CCHD rules prohibit grants to organizations that provide "direct aid" to the poor. In other words, organizations such as shelters and food pantries will not be hurt - they never got the money anyway.

The people that will be hurt are the CCHD bureaucrats and various organizing and lobbying groups - professional "advocates" for the poor. ACORN was not an anomaly, it is precisely the type of organization funded by CCHD.

James H said...

Yes I understand that. I mean I was pretty ignorant on this till till this year For instance I thought we were funding Catholic Charties by this collection, It appears I was wrong.

I agree that ACORN was not an amomaly but we see Dioceses like the Kansas City where it appears good work is done.

I am conflicted because I want good programs to be funded. This again has been a illumination to me. I just dont want good programs to suffer but on the other hand I don't want needed questions to be not asked