Friday, July 11, 2008

Time Magazine On Pope Benedict and the Possible Anglo Catholic Split to Rome (What does it mean for Anglo Catholics in the USA)

The Deacons Bench has the excerpt and link at Could the pope aid an Anglican split? The issue from the Roman side is complex in itself. Add to that that the Vatican is set up not act fast is in play too. Pope Benedict will have to be forceful to trump that Culture.

Also check out Amy Welborn's post this morning The Anglo-Catholics are coming!. What does this mean for Anglo Catholics that are in not in the UK and in other major countries of the the British Commonwealth IE Australia, New Zealand etc. I am not sure. There are challenges of course that is quite different in the USA that will differ from Diocese to Diocese.

For instance the fact that we have not fully recovered from some wrong paths taken after Vatican II and that is in the mix.

As a Anglo- Catholic Blogger that lives in my Diocese so well pointed out. Bobby Kennedy at his blog pointed out in a realistic but depressing entry at GAFCON: What's in it for me? . He states in part

I, in ways, am jealous of the situation that Forward in Faith UK finds itself in. Every Christian should long for unity with Christians in other ecclesial bodies. Anglicanism, finds so much of its identity in Roman Catholicism, and officially, unity between Rome and Canterbury has been on the agenda in recent years.
Women in Holy Orders, and the ordination of active homosexuals in Holy Orders has cost us the fulfillment of one of the most exciting possibilities of Christian history, and that is the partial restoration of the ecclesial unity of Christ’s Church. Forward in Faith UK, may very well get to experience, as a body, what we as a Communion could have experienced had we not allowed these innovations to come in between us and the prayer of Jesus in John 17. What a shame it is for us.
Further, it leaves people, like myself, in North America left with the predicament I find myself in. I can stay in my parish and remain a faithful Catholic Anglican, in a faithful parish, which is part of a predominantly Anglo-Protestant movement. I can alternatively go ahead and participate, individually, in the trajectory of the universal church, and unify myself with Rome, but in a local Roman parish which is less liturgically and ritualistically “Catholic” than Grace. The priests don’t even wear collars. I strongly feel that within my life time we may see Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism come together, and I want to be a part of that. It just grieves me to have to do it as an individual, and not with throngs and throngs of faithful Anglican Catholics, as it should have been. I hope you understand my position.

In other words he goes from a more Catholic Liturgy perhaps to a more "Protestant" influenced Liturgy and Prayer life at the local Catholic Church in his town. Indeed a sad state of affairs.

Though I do not know the number of "Anglo Catholics" in this Diocese where I reside I suspect the numbers are not vast enough to have Anglican Use Parish that is communion with Rome. That is in a Diocese that streteches from the Texas State line to the Mississppit River would there be a demand to have a Anglo Catholic Anglican Use Parish in its two major cities? Of course to have such a Parish it would have to be staffed. In other words unless one lives in a City or area that is very Anglican ones options are limited.

No comments: