Wednesday, July 2, 2008

"Catholic" Blogs Can be Non Preachy

I am still amazed at how many bloggers I read went to the the Catholic New Media conference in Atlanta.

One that went was Testosterhome.I think this is such a fun, amusing, and insightful blog because of her situation. I am perhaps a weird demographic for her(or perhaps not). I am a guy with no kids not married etc. So what do I get out of her blog about raising 5 boys?

Well I get a important insight that indeed if lives a Catholic life it works and it is fulfilling and all this stuff on my very "Preachy Blog" has a point. Her non Preachy blog preaches to me in a powerful way That is it is not all academic as it were in a religious sense. I also like seeing people happy and cheerful and real.

She says in part:
"Recently, I attended the first annual Catholic New Media Celebration in Atlanta, a day-long conference that looked at the importance of understanding and using technology in order to help spread the Gospel. Several years ago, in his apostolic letter The Rapid Development, Pope John Paul II encouraged those working in the media not to fear technology, but to use it to build God’s kingdom.“Do not be afraid of new technologies,” he wrote. “These rank ‘among the marvelous things’ – inter mirifica – which God has placed at our disposal to discover, to use and to make known the truth, also the truth about our dignity and about our destiny as his children, heirs of his eternal Kingdom.”

The New Media conference was an opportunity to connect with other Catholic writers as well as television and radio personalities who are doing just that – using their gifts and talents to build the Church. Through this new technology, all of us have the ability to spread the truth of God’s love to a segment of the population that traditional broadcast and newspaper won’t necessarily reach.

When I started my blog, I didn’t have a sense of purpose beyond a quite selfish “just trying to make it through the day.” The boys were very little and life then was very intense. But writing about little bits of my day, even if just for my own eyes to read, helped me want to be the mother God wanted me to be.I have been amazed at the feedback these simple stories have gotten, and now realize that we all, no matter what God has called us to do, can inspire others through our yes to Him.

Spreading the Gospel doesn’t necessarily mean quoting the Catechism and reciting scripture. While those are certainly important and necessary tools, so often we can most effectively preach without preaching. Striving to live a life totally committed to Christ – through wholehearted commitment to our vocation – is many times the best inspiration.

I think that last part is very true. She does a very good job of showing her faith and Catholic truths by just living it an it comes across real well.

May her number increase!!!

No comments: