Friday, January 22, 2010

Should Catholics Have Voted For Scott Brown

My answer is a resounding yes!! TO me it was a no brainer. I suspect Brown will be pro-choice like Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson is pro choice. That is someone that votes for a good many common sense incremental pro-life measures and will not filibuster a suspect pro-life leaning Judge.

MAJOR IMPROVEMENT.

VOX NOVA and it galley of contributors had been strangely quiet on this election in Massachusetts. that is Until pretty much the day after when it entered the discussion what Pro-lifers should have done .

A very good blog I need to add to the links had two posts in response that Inot only agree with but also think correctly show the Catholic teaching as to responsibility of pro-lifers in electons like this. See here and here.

There was one partial dissenter to this. Good Ole Michael Denton of LSU LAW school!! See his post here. Well I disagree with a good bit of this but he makes a few good points. For the record I am in his category II.

Pro-Ecclesia also engages Michael's post here

Update-

Henry Karlson (the person did the VOX NOVA POST linked above) that started this discussion has left a comment in this post.

4 comments:

Henry Karlson said...

JH

Matt Bowman misrepresents many things. First, as is clear, Vox Nova is NOT a "liberal blog." I would daresay he is the liberal between him and myself.

Second, he didn't state my point properly at all. My point is that a pro-life organization should only support candidates which are pro-life; I have said people can and should vote according to prudence especially when no candidate is for life. In this way I wasn't even saying Catholics shouldn't vote for him, but that organizations shouldn't have made vocal support when he falls outside of their very vision of being. There is a difference -- vocal support is far more than the cooperation involved with mere voting.

However, it is quite clear Matt seems to follow with a dualistic "Obama is bad" mentality, so that Catholics are not allowed to even support his policies-- just because he made them (why else did he bring up Obama's policies and say I was using this all as a way to support Obama's policies, when I wasn't?) Of course, even if you do not agree with or support Obama, one can support and agree with policies - the two do not go hand in hand.

Moreover, will he call Jay of Pro Ecclesia a liberal for saying Catholics could vote for Obama (which Jay said?) Probably not.. which again shows the complete dishonesty of his political engagement here.

You are better than that. Stay better than that.

James H said...

I would say it is "progressive" blog which I think is different

I will update my post so people can see your comment. I would say and I will make clear I am not just talking about you post but the ensuring discussion in the comment section

Henry Karlson said...

James

Remember, two of us at least have pointed out our preference to monarchy over democracy -- is that progressive? The blog is Catholic with a variety of perspectives -- beyond that, I think the label is problematic and used as an ad homimen (like with Matt). I know your response was not in agreement with Matt, just was pointing out that his post misrepresented my own and my point; it appears he believes Obama is hiding behind every post.

James H said...

LEt me say as to yourpost. I guess I would disagree that the pro-life groups have become compromised in this regard. Basically Brown had reached out to them and it seemed he opposed repealing many of the incremential gains that Pro-Life forces have made

That being said I do agree with you that if I was the MASS Right to Life web site you mentioned I would be hesitant in calling him "pro-life" Still I can't control what every group does on their web site.

That being said I guess I agree with the susbtance of what Bowman is saying (I ma not reaaly getting into the disagreement of whom is misrepresenting who A seen in his paragraph one)

To be honest I have probally linked Max Bowman's post in the past but I can't recall what hsi theme is . So I can't comment on if his main motivation is just anti Obama.