Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Good News and Bad News on Catholic Church's Document on the Natural Law

First the text has been released. . The bad news however it is only in French and Italian. Hopefully someone will do a quick unofficial English translation out there. Mirrors gives a overview at International Theological Commission on the Natural Law

I think the Vatican needs to make it a practice to have a English version of important documents like this right out of the box. Why this does not happen I don't know.

I am reminded of the recent comments of the Japanese Envoy to the Vatican.

For the last one or two years, some seminars which have attracted me include seminars on Islam, human rights, Darwinism, health care for children, eugenics, and so forth.

In short, the Vatican has a system whereby the pope has access to advice from illustrious intellects of the world. This further enriches the pope's messages and enhances his moral powers.In this sense, the Vatican is not just a mere state, but also a big bunch of "think tanks," which have a connection and network with many prominent think tanks of the world. Besides, it functions as a crossroads for intellectuals, offering them opportunities to make discussions and arguments among them. In this context, too, the Vatican offers public goods.One problem, in this respect, should be pointed out – especially from the angle of Asian diplomats. That is to say that many seminars take place only in Italian. Not often in English. Which might discourage some Asian diplomats from attending. Otherwise, many of them would turn out to be more attractive.

3 comments:

Nicholas Jagneaux said...

James,

I'd volunteer to translate it from French, but it'd take me a week or two. (Probably closer to to two.)

If I get a chance this weekend, I'll start working on it.

However, I can't guarantee the most "slavishly accurate" translation.

James H said...

That would be great!!!!

Joseph Bolin said...

I've translated it from the Italian (which I'm guessing is the original text), except for the notes, which I hope to do soon.

The Search for Universal Ethics: A New Look at the Natural Law