Friday, June 19, 2009

New York Times- New Orleans Great Place To Ride Out Recession

Who Knew? Rod Dreher looks at this article at Louisiana: It's not like America

Update- I left this comment at Rod's

Rod in some ways I agree with you but when are now entering the third decade of migration out of the State things have to change

The whole question will be pretty mute if don't get Coastal erosion under control and the dead zone in the gulf. Something that sadly those outside Louisiana regardless of party do not care about

However I think we need some reality here. While New Orleans has had corruption in its history for a good part of the time things actually worked.

Lafayette Louisiana is very South Louisiana(thought different from New Orleans in obvious ways) and it has sort of the mentality and culture that you allude too. The difference is things work there!!

At least we are not Detroit I guess which makes New Orleans look like Plato's Republic in comparison

Another example is Mississippi. I am not sure why Louisiana gets all the corruption labels. Heck Mississippi is just as about bad and in fact I am willing to bet worse. But look at the Coast. It works
.

2 comments:

Nicholas Jagneaux said...

James,

I agree: Lafayette is MUCH better than New Orleans.

I'm glad New Orleans is there to visit once every two years or so, but that about all it's good for.

And, it's not just Mississippi that's as corrupt (if not more) than us. Most other states have corruption problems.

The problem is that Louisiana has gotten tagged with the label, so we're the default position.

(Of course, having Edwin Edwards elected to 3 terms didn't help. But, I know people who'd still vote Edwards to this day.)

James H said...

Yeah it always bugs me that Louisian gets the corruption tab. I mean things have improved so much from the 70 and early 80's After Roemer came in and the other reformers it was the start.

Over the last decade it does not appear to me that Louisiana is any more corrupt than anyother place