Friday, October 17, 2008

McCain and Obama Big Hits At Catholic Al Smith Dinner


Yes last night marked the last joint appearance before election day of Obama and McCain. They appeared at the Alfred Smith Dinner that raises money for Catholic Charities in the Archdiocese of New York and that honors a Democrat loser ( at lease for the White House) . That is the former Democrat Governor of New York Alfred Smith the first Catholic to get the nomination of the Democratic party. In fact the only Catholic to get the nomination beside Kennedy and Kerry. Smith was a important figure in history and I expect one day I will talk about him more.


It was a pretty funny event being a roast and is a traditional last event for the White House hopefuls every 4 years.


I thought McCain was a big hit and slightly edged out Obama in his "routine" mainly because I get the feeling McCain has done a few more of thiese roast events. McCain is really sacarastic as hell at times which often gets him in trouble with reporters but he generally is pretty funny. Anyway it is nice to see these events.


Whispers in the Loggia has a short write up and the shorts funny vids of both McCain and Obama at At the Al


Sadly AGAIN my inivitation got lost in the mail it seemed but American Papist has some more pics at Slideshow: Cardinal Egan, Obama & McCain together


Sadly McCain made no Prof Doug Kmiec jokes :) .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

James,

I agree: McCain was the better of the two. But I think that McCain was BY FAR the better.

I actually laughed out loud at some of the jokes they both made.

Boy, would I have liked to have been sitting near Cardinal Egan and those two. I hope that the Holy Spirit was guiding that conversation (with both, but especially with That One).

Get well.

Geaux Tigers!