Thursday, October 9, 2008

Former President of Notre Dame Not Too Helpful Comments on "Female Priests"

Sadly we see why Notre Dame and American Catholicism slightly went to the dogs for a few years. Hopefully we can recover before we have to go to the catacombs.

In Light of the Law has more links and other thoughts at Hesburgh on women's "ordination"

Update- I want to say I agree with much of Father Hesburgh is saying in that Wall Street Journal Article. However the fact is and it boggles my mind at times that smart Catholic Priests like him can't see it. Truly Catholicism is not the Cafeteria. If you dissent on a part then you find the whole faith starts to fall apart.

For instance we he says:
No. I have to say I never had a serious problem with parents or with alumni or with my fellow priests here at Notre Dame, or with all our lay professors, who are increasing in number. I never had a problem that we should not become more liberal, if you will, more concerned with things like human development and human rights, more open to problems of racial justice and religious justice, more concerned about every person's problems -- including Protestants, Jews, of course, not just our own. I must say, I never felt any internal pressure to do any differently than I did.

Well Great. However if you make huge part of the Christian Doctrine given to us by the Apostles as optional or dish Church Authority then what Authority do you have to speak with a Catholic voice on this issues.

In that interview he says:
Is there a problem today you'd love to get your hands on?
I think we ought to solve the problem of immigration. It's one of the key problems today. I think I had the answer because, remember, I was chairman of the Commission on Immigration and Refugee Policy. I had two wonderful guys on the commission: Sen. Teddy Kennedy and Sen. Alan Simpson of Wyoming. We became very good friends, and they were with me, and we had the solution.
I proposed a simple process: We say to everyone illegal here in America, if you've been here five years or more and you've had no problem with the law, you're working steady on a job, and you don't get any benefits because you have a false Social Security number and you'll never get the benefits you're contributing to, all you have to do is show up to the local authorities wherever you live and say, "I would like to be an American citizen." Then we will immediately put you on the track for citizenship. You'll have to take the courses required, and you'll have pass the exams.
I would say that if you put that program in, you can even cut back on the number coming in for a while until you get that problem solved. Once that problem is solved, I think I'd be a little more liberal on the number coming in. But you solve that problem first
.

Great I totally agree and that solution is totally with Catholic Teaching. However if one dishes Catholic Teaching and authority, which the Notre Dame Theology Department did constantly!!! then what is your response to a guy that say' Hey Father Illegal is Illegal and hey you disagree with the Church on the Priesthood I can disagree with the Pope on immigration".

What is the response? There is none

I often think that Catholics that are often the biggest Advocates of Catholic Social Justice who also seem to rant against the Church on Gay Marriage and Women Priesst fail to see the problem here. How can you speak of the Gospel and his Church as to Catholic Social Justice and then just say as to a Major doctrinal issue.-Oh well who cares!!

No comments: