Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Here is a Good Civil Rights Lawyer

As I have posted in the past I have major problems with parts of the Voting Rights Act. Those concerns are with provisions that:

(1)Treat the South differently

and
(2) In my view create Minority majority Districts that go against the Constitution.

Point two is my main bone of contention. It is allowed to happen because of a deal everyone knows about but no one talks about. That is a arrangement with my party the GOP and mainly important African American leaders. They get a black legislator and the surrounding districts become much "whiter" and thus more Republican. It is a win win except for good politics and good Government. The result being the parties are more extreme, coalition building is reduced, and we have the bizarre result that actually minority influence on the whole is diluted greatly and not protected.

Still I am a big fan of the rest to say the least.

We rant against Government lawyers but here is one guy that stood up for his convictions and is now being punished for it. I find it one of the worst scandal of the current administration.

Read the whole thing here.

No comments: