Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Brit Hume Says Come to Jesus Tiger Woods

The Anchoress has a roundup and good thoughts here at Brit Hume and Tiger Round Up

I pretty much agree with this :
Should Hume have said what he did, on the air? I am a little ambivilent about it.

On one hand, as a Christian, I admire it; Hume put himself out there, as “a fool for Christ,” willing to face ridicule and scorn for his faith. On the other hand, I’m not comfortable with the venue. I don’t think I would like it if, for example, Christopher Hitchens suggested to Tiger, “don’t worry about it, there is no God, anyway,” or if some Muslim used a news broadcast to suggest that Woods should turn to Islam. As the writer at Americablog suggested, minding the salvation of Tiger Woods this is not Hume’s job as a newscaster.

It is his job as a Christian, however, and Hume might have done better, in a host of ways, by contacting Woods privately, and offering to pray for him (as he is likely already doing) and perhaps introducing Woods to the Good Shepherd, in the process.

But we don’t know everything; perhaps Hume has tried to reach out to Woods, but the golfer -not wishing to talk to members of the press- has closed all avenues, and so Hume decided to make a public plea. Not an optimal situation, to be sure, but the Holy Spirit does have a way of confounding us and using what is available, and we do not always understand why He does what He does
.

That is where I am at. I admire him for it some ways but again not exactly 100 perecent comfortable with it.

Lets face it how would Catholics react if a well know journalist on National TV said " I think X needs to leave the legalistic empty ritual false gospel of the Catholic Church and go someplace where he can develop a personal relationship with Christ."

I seem to recall a good bit of the Catholic blog sphere was in a uproar , wrongly in my view, because Mike Huckabee happened to speak at a Church whose pastor did not think the Catholic Church was the best thing since sliced bread to say the least. The screaming in the above scenario would be intense. CALLS FOR BOYCOTTS and such.

No comments: