Sunday, July 5, 2009

Religous Majorities By American County (Cool Map)



Click pic for bigger picture. A few things about this map. I was sort of shocked that United Methodist don't have a majority in any one County in Texas (Oops well they have one a vary not well populated one at the very top of the Panhandle). It is very interesting that many of the Catholic Diocese that are on fire in the United States and going gangbusters are in the SOuthern Baptist belt. Like the Diocese of Arkansas, the Archdiocese of Atlanta, large areas of the Archdiocese of Kanas City as well as others.

4 comments:

Fr. J. said...

Interesting map. I think there may be an essential flaw in it, however. First, there is an assumption that most people who are religious, Christians in particular, belong to an entity that is greater than their local community. In the past 40 years this assumption has become grossly outdated as the autonomous evangelical and community churches have mushroomed at the expense of denominational membership. I would be more impressed by a map that included a category for "Christian, non-denominational." That could be an even more interesting map.

James H said...

Well I think you have a point on that. No doubt even in the most SOuthern Batosit of areas and Catholic of places the other together account for a majority

Still It hink it is a good indication of how some faith traditions (and their cousins) dominate a region

Chris Osgood said...

I used to have a big poster of this from the 2000 census. I got it from GlenMary.

I can't wait to see the new one from the 2010 census!!!

Ggoose said...

I posted this on my blog as well combined with a different map from 2000. Check it out when you get a chance

http://earlychurchfathers.org/fullcircle