Friday, July 10, 2009

An Online “Caritas in Veritate” Reading Group Is Established

Tip of the hat to Crunchy Con that gave this link in his review. (Read it is good) at Benedict's crunchy-con encyclical

The reading group will be at the American Conservative that has been very fair on this document. See the link Up for a “Caritas in Veritate” Reading Group?

They state:
So … anyone out there interested in reading the new encyclical together, a chapter or two at a time? I should acknowledge right away that I’m no expert on Catholic social teaching (though I did once research and write a long but unsigned encyclopedia article on the topic, and came away with very few sympathies for the standard Novak-Weigel-Neuhaus line), and of course I do have my own biases that I should be better about allowing documents like this one to challenge, but then again remedying such defects would be very much the purpose of the exercise.
What I’d do is post some very general talking points – perhaps on Sunday afternoons? – and then let the discussion unfold in the comments from there.
I see six chapters, plus an introduction and a conclusion, which would mean about two months to get through the whole thing if we really took our time. Leave a note in the comments if you’re interested; if enough people are, we can get started on the introduction for this coming weekend.


UPDATE: Okay - I’d call this sufficient interest, so here’s the deal. We’ll read the introduction (that’s secs. 1-9) for this coming weekend, and a chapter a week from then on. I’ll plan to have my notes up by midday (California time, I guess) each Sunday. Sound good? (The text of the encyclical is here.)

I will be there!!!

No comments: