Friday, June 19, 2009

Free Speech and Responding To Anti Catholicism At Ole Miss

I thought this was an interesting article at Inside Catholic from an Ole Miss Catholic Prof. See Anti-Catholic Free Speech

Though I make fun of Ole Miss I cannot imagine there is anymore anti Catholicism there than anywhere else. In fact I suspect for a Protestant area there is far less than the average. The Prof goes out of his way to point that out:

Before going further, let me note that there is a vibrant Catholic community at Ole Miss. The dean of the graduate school, the dean of students, the associate deans from engineering and law, the most recently retired provost and dean of liberal arts, the current baseball coach, and the last two football head coaches (though not the current one) are all Catholics. In fact, I once read that about one third of the faculty here self-identify as Catholic. Still, presumably because of the kind of work that I have done, people expected me to be the one to respond to the article in question.

Anyway good read

No comments: