Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Morning After Debate Thoughts

I went to the football game last night. My Mighty Homer Pelicans by the way beat the evil Catholics of Loyola Prep.

Congrat to LSU's For the Greater Glory. I noticed last night hig diabolical Jesuits High New Orleans Folks beat Baton Rouge Catholic in Overtime.

Anyway I watched the replay of the debate. I thought McCain did real well. McCain must do a better job of showing that Obama is not from the Sam Nunn./John Breaux wing of the Democrat party but from the far liberal wing. Watching Obama out there he has a amazing ability to make himself look centrist which is not true at all. It is a amazing talent and it is akin to if Rep Tom Tancredo was out there making himself look like some moderate.

I was very pleased McCain looked "good". I can recall that at one Republcian Primary debate held on the same day as a bitter fight on the immigration bill was happening McCain looked sort of old and tired though his answers were good. I swear it looked like McCain had gotten off the beach last night looking at his complexion. Oh yeah I am reminded again OBAMA has HUGE OLE EARS. I will say Obama got rid of a lot of his "uhs" last night.

I very much agree with some Jonah Goldberg said last night. He said:

I gave a speech tonight and then had to sign books afterward, so I missed the first half or so of the debae. I've got to watch the whole thing from the beginning, but one thing really stuck me. It was interesting, even oddly refreshing, to see what a good politician McCain is. I sometimes forget that. I'm not sure why, though I have some theories. One of them: I've heard so many of his lines so many times, I was jazzed to hear how good he can be when he's extemporaneous (or when he's good at being extemporaneous). Obama is a good politician too, of course. But he can give the sense that he's merely a politician; a talker. McCain doesn't give the sense he's a talker, so it's actually more surprising — and encouraging — when he shows himself to be a good talker.

I think this is very true and this is often ignored by people on both sides of the aisle that are not big fans of McCain.

I though it was a good night for John McCain and Obama made no huge gaffes. I will talk about the Catholic Aspect of this later

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know John McCain? I met him in the 1970s when he was Senate Liaison officer for the Navy. He told me tales of his amoral behavior and of his intention to marry someone with the necessary money to bankroll his political ambitions. The rest is history. He has become the most expedient of all politicians I know. Your support for McCain is grounded in someone who does not exist. Please take another look

Michael D. said...

We're not "folks," we're the blue jays, but thanks for the congratulations anyway. I hope to take that momentum into the MSU game.

I didn't watch the debate but I read the transcript. McCain needs to lose the cliches and strengthen his economy argument but whipped Obama on foreign policy. I'll post my thoughts on my blog.