Thursday, February 28, 2013

In Last Remarks Pope Benedict Signals Will Not Attend Installation of New Pope & Other Liturgical Nuggets

Father Z does a splendid job of fleshing out the meaning of Pope Benedict's last official remarks as Pontiff this morning . See Benedict’s Last Official Speech – a summary of his vision .

Besides the liturgical and other overtones in his farewell speech Pope Benedict seemed to signal where he is going to be or rather not be in the coming weeks. In other words we should not expect video of now Pope Emeritus kissing the ring of the new Pope.

Father Z states ( in red )

Before greeting you each personally, I desire to tell you that I will continue to be near to you in prayer, especially in the upcoming days, so that you may be entirely docile to the action of the Holy Spirit in the election of a new Pope.  May the Lord show you what He wants you to do.  And among you, in the College of Cardinals, there is the future Pope, to whom I, already, promise my unconditioned reverence and obedience.  [The fact that he says this here and now means that he is not going to appear later to do it in public.  He really will just disappear and cast no shadow hear the new Pope.] For this, with affection and thanksgiving, I impart to you from my heart the Apostolic Blessing.

I have to admit this part struck me as different in tone than the rest of the speech when I was listening. However now reading it it does appears to be a very solemn and formulaic declaration.

Of course if the new Pope wants him there I suspect Benedict would go. But Benedict seems to be be telling the soon to be Pope he does not have to invite him and in fact perhaps it would not be wise to do so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing in favor of me to have a website, which is valuable in support of my knowledge. thanks admin

my website :: Scott Tucker
Also see my site :: Scott Tucker