Friday, September 18, 2009

Regarding The Catholic Educators of the Year for the Diocese of Shreveport

The Diocese of Shreveport is highlighting the wonderful contributions of Catholic educators in my Diocese. See Diocese of Shreveport: Best Educator of the Year 2009

One thing strikes you. They are all female. The lack of positive male role models (beside Coaches) is a problem we see in both Catholic and public schools. Catholic schools because of the salary question no doubt have this problem in spades. I don't know how many males teachers besides Coaches the Dicoese of Shreveport has. I suspect over the years like elsewhere it has declined.

Just an observation. I sometimes think that the lack of male teachers sort of make not only education but active involvement in the Church seem like a only female affair.

The Shreveport Times ran a wonderful article on beleloved teacher at Loyola Prep in Shreveport that just retired. I cannot tell you how men young boys that became some of this State's most successful citizens. (I so wish I could find it again). May his number be replenished.

No comments: