Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lets Eat Jewish Tonight

I must say as a deep south Southerner I missed out on the Jews. The great history of Southern Jews mostly resides in graveyards. As my grandmother said who lived in rural Louisiana and knew many local Jews "they all have moved to Atlanta" .

A good Catholic friend of mine in the deep south town of Vicksburg who knew many Jews in her youth said "when the Jews leave the town you know it is about to go to hell in a hand basket"

I must say that appears to be true.

We still have Jews in the south outside the major Queen Cities but it was not like it used to be. I feel liked I have missed out. My grandmother used to talk that in nowhere Northeast Louisiana the Jewish store owners had their stores opened on Christmas Eve in a festive atmosphere for the Christian populace.

To my grandparents generations Jews were the norm. I never really knew a Jew till I went to Louisiana Tech and a Jew happened to be in my Golf Class. I can recall when I went to New Orleans and met these people that I had just read about in the Bible. Sadly I was so fascinated I think it turned off this really cute Jewish girl that went to to Tulane I was really hitting on at the time. I guess over drinks at Pat O Brien's is not to get into a conversation about the Jewish practices in depth. Kinda of sad but Southern Jewry is Gone With the Wind.

Well at least we can eat. Eating Habits has a nice recipe at OY VEY! EATING HABITS IS GOING KOSHER! (Yes I know it is tad late on the calender but still good to know our heritage as Christians)

2 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Thanks for the link love, kiddo!

I've always been fascinated by the Jewish culture. I think I fell in love with them the first time I saw Fiddler on the Roof as a young girl.

Anyway, I taught a 6th grade religion class in the past and we used to have a field trip to the Synagogue which was close to our parish and the Rabbi would meet with the kids and explain a little about their faith, the Torah, their much longer list of "commandments", etc. After the talk, the Rabbi would let them see the Torah up close and they were able to ask any question they wanted. It was great! Every year that I went, I learned something new, myself.

We also combined our 6th grade classes and had a Seder meal where the kids helped with the cooking. Their families were invited to attend and then they did an enactment of a Sedar meal and included the connection and similarities between the Sedar meal and our Mass. At the end, the whole group (along with the familes) sang Dayenu.It was so much fun!

James H said...

I saw you were going to stop you eating blog. Will you keep doing recipes on the main blog

I love Seder meals