Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Why Do Southern Baptist Have Better Music People Than Catholics

This is such a scandal to me. I was thinking of this when I saw this post The Roots of the Pay Problem.

I was raised in a small town and attended the main Southern Baptist Church. Like many Churches in these towns there was a full time Minister of Music that liked had a degree in it. If you go to the Southern Baptist Theological schools many are there getting their Ministry of Music degrees. Serious business and yes they are paid fairly well. If the average small to mid size Southern Baptist town can afford to do this why not Catholics?

There is really no excuse.

In some areas such as University Towns there is a huge talent pool too that could be had on the cheap.

4 comments:

William Eunice said...

A Catholic Church close to me has some of the most talented cantors I have ever heard but it is to no avail if the parish is going to pump tens of thousands of dollars into OCP hymnals.

If you are down in New Orleans when they are doing it you need to catch the high latin mass at St. Patricks. That is Catholic music done right ...

James H said...

I would agree with that. I am just hoping we see some changes

David said...

We have a great music coordinator in my parish. His title is Director of Liturgy...which entails music. He got his undergrad in Organ from LSU and a master's in music from Notre Dame.
I did a podcast with him.
I can't stand Southern Baptist gospel music.....give me Cathedral organ any day.

Trip said...

I played drums for 12 years at a Protestant church. While I was a volunteer, we did have a full-time, salaried music director who recruited musicians, arranged music and ran rehearsals. It's a lot of work. I put in a 2-hour rehearsal then 5 hours each Sunday (playing at three services). The music director had many many more hours and deserved every penny he was paid. And having him on staff raised the quality. This is a worthwhile model for Catholic parishes to follow, if funds are there.