Monday, August 17, 2009

A Major Conservative Political Voice Attacks Marian Devotion

I have mixed views on Heather MacDonald. She and I have different views on immigration reform. I am for and she is against. Still her pieces are important and her arguments must be grappled with. Heather also has been know not to take a very high view of religious conservatives. This week she goes after Mary and Catholics


Non-believers are told again and again that they must respect religion. I try, I really do, but I confess that such manifestations of religious faith make following this injunction somewhat of a challenge. It would be one thing if this chromatic doll were putting in an appearance in Mexico City, filled as it is with superstitious peasant believers; it’s another to figure out what the doll is doing on Manhattan’s Upper East Side. I ask in all sincerity: are Secular Right’s fellow highly-educated conservatives ready to prostrate themselves before, and put a toy crown on, a wooden effigy? Or do religious conservative pundits see such outbreaks of folk superstition as the price they must pay in order to preserve the higher mysteries of the faith? But isn’t such a bargain terribly condescending?
I must respect religion. I understand, but I honestly don’t see how to distinguish the worship of a wooden icon from the belief in the healing power of crystals or in the predictive power of entrails. I know I must be missing some essential distinctions here, but for the moment they elude me and I remain at a loss to understand
.

Good Grief!!!

Joe Carter , an Evangelical ,takes her to task. See Dissing Marian Devotion via First Thoughts. (Scroll down)

Update I- I am kind of shocked that some religious conservative voices(especially Catholics have not attacked this piece- Where are the people at National Review that quote her).Especially those that agree with her stance on immigration reform. There are some elements in the anti immigration reform movement that lets say do little to disguise their anti Catholic bias (NO I NOT SAYING IF YOU OPPOSED THE BUSH BILL YOU ARE ANTI CATHOLIC OR A SELF HATING CATHOLIC). Still the whole think reeks and almost sounds racial. Like what are these Folk Doctor Mexican Customs doing here in Urbane New York.) Trust me this piece will be used. One problem the anti immigration reform folks have had is "policing themselves". That is to be expected because you have so many voices. Still I hope some of them go out of their way to respond to this.

2 comments:

Subvet said...

"Still the whole think reeks and almost sounds racial."

That was the gist of my own thinking while reading that garbage.

I'm definetly in the "anti-immigration camp" and make no apologies for wanting our borders secured and laws enforced. But this woman needs a checkup from the neckup! Sheesh!

James H said...

I AGREE. AND THAT WAS THE POINT i TRIED TO MAKE. i MIGHT DISAGREE WITH FRIENDA ON THE IMMIGRATION DEBATE. BUT i KNOW THEY DON'T AGREE WITH THIS GARBAGE.