Thursday, August 20, 2009

Guns and Town Halls- Is this Really A Big Deal

I saw over at Vox Nova they link and quote a article by E.J. Dionne, Jr on the matter.

I actually don't think showing up with at these events with a gun is a great idea. But it doesn't really faze me. I think in essence this it is cultural thing. I mean not only when I was growing up did kids have their deer rifles in the trucks at the school but today I am in a state that has a second amendment tax holiday and comes each year close to allowing students on Universities to pack heat.

Also lets be honest these incidents are very very few. I am not really seeing a danger to the Republic here as E.J. seems to see it. Again we are an collection of 50 States and how E.J Dionne feels where she lives does not mean people in Arizona have to feel the same way. That is sort of what makes this country great.

I also think there is much of silliness to this. I mean when the protesters at the 2008 GOP convention were turning violent I did not think this was indicative of something widespread. Or that all Democrats were like this that were protesting Bush. Again everyone has their little narrative they want to sell and facts often get in the way.

In the way it is self defeating. I am pretty sure average Americans are getting tired of it being implied they are dangerous and part of kookville. People will take that anger out not by guns but at the polls in 2010.

Related- Why Are Republicans Being Linked To Every Ron Paul Town Hall Crazy?

No comments: