Saturday, March 8, 2008

The "Latin Mass" and the United States Military

I have actually thought of this situation in the past. Father Z has some news on that front at USA Archdiocese for Military responds to inquiries about TLM .

I think much will depend on how sought after the extraordinary form of the liturgy is sought after. I do wonder if this situation is sort of similar to the situation of Eastern Rite Catholics. I do wonder if the military has pirests of that rite in the military and how they are used or how the needs of Catholics of that rite are taken care of.

1 comment:

Timothy said...

>"I do wonder if this situation is sort of similar to the situation of Eastern Rite Catholics. I do wonder if the military has pirests of that rite in the military and how they are used or how the needs of Catholics of that rite are taken care of."

Yes, the military does have Eastern Rite Catholic priests. My wife and children were baptised in the Roman Rite by Father Lawrence Gosslin, a faithful priest of the Melkite Catholic Church.

Father offered both the Roman Novus Ordo and Byzantine Divine Liturgy at our base chapel. The Byzantine Rite is beautiful with much incense, icons, and heavy vestments. A lot of prayers and responses are said in threes.

I recall, after returning from the Persian Gulf, discovering that Father Gosslin had followed us into New Jersey and that the noon Novus Ordo was now the noon Byzantine.

Father Gosslin is now retired and living in PA.

God bless...