Monday, March 10, 2008

The Hypocrisy on the McCain Hagee Faux Controversy

Pro Ecclesia has the latest roundup on what SOME Catholics are saying as to to the whole Hagee and McCain blowup. Go see How Significant is Hagee's McCain Endorsement?

I hate to use the term blowup because most Catholics do not care. I am again both a tad amused and also discouraged at the same time.

The Catholic League ,which does good work, has released and press statement talking about how horrible this all is.

Pro Ecclesia notes "Once again, however, this has become an issue primarily because the hypocrite McCain was the one who made it an issue against Bush back in 2000. So, I'm quite content to sit back and watch while McCain gets his comeuppance."

I suppose he has something there. However lets be honest. I can understand how people can get some satisfaction over this. The attacks on Bush were not fair. However the sins of all sides during that 2000 race are many. There was a lot of distasteful things that happened by McCain as well as his opponents against him. So I am quite forgiving. Also more honesty here. Hypocrisy is all over the place as to this. How come I am not hearing people all up set that Tom Delay is associated with Hagee. I

That politicans such as Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX), Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), Rep. Henry Bonilla (R-TX), and even Presient Bush is associated with Hagee.

What about Catholic Senators Republican Senators Rick Santorum and Sam Brownback and Ken Mehlman, the former Republican National Committee chairman .

Oops Senator Joe Liberman, House Republican Whip Roy Blunt, and former speaker Newt Gingrich are also associated with Hagee.

I could go on and on and on.

If Deal Hudson want to make a issue of this fine (See Ecclesia's link- Hudson explains why he disagrees with Stricherz' take on the importance of the McCain-Hagee two-step.) But Mr Hudson and others need to just be brave enough with their convictions to declare war on anyone that associates with Hagee and his group Christians United for Israel (CUFI). I am not holding my breath. It is a dangerous game they are playing. Also I must ask. Who are the real hypocrites here?

I have mentioned on other blogs and comment section that the Catholic League and others better come up with some ground rules on whom Catholic politicians and us the average Joe Six pack laity can associate with in the political spectrum. I suppose Seventh Day Adventist are out. They are the most anti Catholic organization Church in the US and make Hagee look like a Papist. I hope the Catholic pundits release that list of (political lepers and rules of engagement) soon.

I suppose once we go down this rabbit hole no telling where it can lead. After we make sure that no Church or pastor has a Jack Chick publications in their Church we might have some adverse reaction. I suppose the Masons and the Shriners(you know the people with the funny cars) can ask their members not to vote for people that support the Catholic Church until they distance themselves from the Churches view on the lodge.

I detest Hagee's views. However this is not the way to go about it. I have very little interest in going down this road in American politics.

There is Hypocrisy. However little comes from McCain's part currently.

1 comment:

lvschant said...

This all just muddies the waters... Based purely upon McCain's pretty good pro-life voting record in the Senate vs. either of the two Dem candidates, I don't see any option but to support McCain over either of them. I also think, notwithstanding his strange departures from conservatism on several issues in the past, he is much more suited to the role of Commander in chief as well.

He isn't as pro-life as I would wish and he isn't as conservative as I would wish on some issues, but the other two are, frankly, scary.

Why are these Catholics doing this? Are they trying to justify voting for candidates who are more socially liberal and justify it with this hagee nonsense?