Monday, March 10, 2008

Catholic Church Adds 7 New Deadly Sins

They are :
(1)genetic modification;
(2) human experimentations,
(3) polluting the environment;
(4) social injustice;
(5) causing poverty;
(6) financial gluttony;
and
(7) taking drugs.

Pro Ecclesia has the details and link to the article. I suspect there shall be some controversy over this. For a refresher course the original 7 are Lust, Gluttony, Greed , Sloth, Wrath, Envy , Pride .

The thing is I am not sure that the new sins listed above such as three through seven are nothing more than a extension of the original seven!!! However I do understand what the Church is trying to do here.

Update here at Attention Deadly Sins Are Not the Same As Mortal Sins

6 comments:

lvschant said...

I had already read the yahoo article this morning and then also this CNN article at http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/03/10/vatican.updates.sins.ap/. I am always a bit wary of journalists' interpretation of interviews with Catholics, so I was trying to find the original interview in L'Osservatorio Romano from Sunday. I have not yet been successful, however. I am just guessing, but don't think Girotti was intending to replace the older list of deadly sins with this list, but rather to draw our attention to particular sins that our times have generated.

James H said...

That is true. If I find the origianal article I will update this entry

Anonymous said...

Perhaps this is the church's attempt at "punking" the paparazzi...? I doubt it, though. :)

David said...

Surely with the extreme wealth of the church it would be capable of doing far more for the poor of the world. Financial gluttony? Is the Catholic Church one of the worst offenders?

Anonymous said...

I think the Catholic Church wants us to look at how our behavior impacts society on a global level. We need to ask ourselves, do we work in a job that benefits society, or perpetuates social injustice? Do we empower people, or do we work for corporations that significantly benefit from biased tax laws without regard to the common man? Do we respect all forms of life and see them as God sees them? I think this is what the Church wants us to pray about.

Anonymous said...

My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was totally right.
This post truly made my day. You can not imagine just how much time I had spent
for this info! Thanks!

my webpage :: artistas