Thursday, May 20, 2010

Jim Geraghty Misses the Point . YES RAND HAS A PROBLEM

Oh dear well I knew this was coming. Rand is having to deal with how he would have voted on The Civil Rights Act of 1964. No I don't think he is a racist and yes I know Federalism and Interstate Commerce questions are at the root of it. Still this show the limits of a real practical Libertarian poltical viewpoint fuctioning in reality.

You can see his piece here. See Welcome to the General Election, Rand.

Ann Althouse I think better than I shows the problem here.

Also there is point being missed here in what I call the Libertatian never never land as to this issue. As one of the comments at Ann place pointed out:
Rand Paul is a staunch libertarian. Of course he holds those views.Me, I'm more of a squish. The state forcibly resegregated private enterprises in the 1880s and 1890s, which set into stone those practices. State action (on the federal level) was reasonable or even necessary to break that logjam-- hence the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

That is often missed. I some ways the Jim Crow Laws put some blacks in a WORSE position than before the Civil War. We saw this in Louisiana as to the population of Free blacks Civil War.

Update- I have another post on this at Jon Kyl Has Best Take On Rand Paul's Comments On the Civil Rights Act (Plus My Take)

No comments: