Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Church of Christ Facebook Post On Zimmerman Verdict Causes Some Anger



Its interesting to see how some Churches have handled this verdict. I actually think some Faith Communuties and their various high ranking staff should have waited a few days to ponder and examine the verdict myself if they wished to comment at all. As we can see here a good many people of the Church of Christ that posted here are troubled. 

Regardless perhaps Sunday ,  just hours after the verdict , was not enough time to take such an official Church stance via social media.

I spent some time reading William Saletan piece over at Slate today - You Are Not Trayvon MartinHis death wasn’t about race, guns, or your pet issue. It was about misjudgment and overreaction—exactly what we’re doing now to the verdict.

I personally think Saletan hits the right tone and the facts. I get the larger issues here and in the end I was not there. But parts of the Church are starting to look like that Good Friday mob of old that yelled Crucify Him Crucify him. As someone that plays that out in our Holy Week services I get a sense of how powerfully perhaps exhiliatrating it was to be part of that crowd . The Faith Community  needs to speak out for Justice and the oppressed but it needs to do so with some more reflection ( and at least a space of a few days ) than I have seen in some segements regarding this matter.


No comments: