Monday, August 4, 2008

Vatican Library Starting to Come Online

Does the Pope Get a Nasty Call from the Library When His Books are Overdue?


I did not realize that the Vatican LIbrary had gone ONLINE. It is still in it's start up stages (The Web Site) but I am hopeful. Chiesa has a great story on this at The Library of the Popes Is Closed. But on the Web, It's More Open Than Ever

You need to access NOT THROUGH the Vatican Web Page (Actually the Holy See) but through the VATCIAN CITY STATE web page.

Here is the library link

On a related note I recall ( I wa very little so I coule be way off) that during the Cold War the Knights of Columbus had some project to like copy the entire Vatican Libary in case Rome went boom under a big mushroom cloud. I guess no one thought the Ruskkies would care about St Louis .

Anyway the project appears to be still ongoing and is quite impressive. Check out this resource that has largest number of Vatican Library manuscripts on microfilm outside of the Vatican City. Pretty impressive.

No comments: