Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I Did Not Realize Fayetteville Arkansas Was So Liberal

I was trying to get a bead on the results of the Democrat race for Senate in Arkansas found this interesting article.

Leding Defeats Ramsey
PROGRESSIVE NEWCOMER PULLS 61 PERCENT OF VOTE

Political newcomer Greg Leding cruised past former state legislator J.W. “Bill” Ramsey on Tuesday to earn the Democratic nomination for District 92 in the Arkansas House of Representatives.
With all precincts reporting, Leding received 1,156 votes (61 percent) and Ramsey got 730 votes (39 percent). Results are unofficial until certified by the Washington County Election Commission.
Leding is likely to take office in January because no Republican candidate filed to run in the district. Write-in candidates can file as late as August, but a win by a write-in candidate is extremely rare.
The Fayetteville district includes the University of Arkansas and most of Fayetteville. It is widely considered one of the region’s most liberal districts. Incumbent State ...


Here is a interview with him

Again it is a University Town but it is a SEC University town and Fayetteville never struck me as a Liberal Bastion when I was there. Maybe it is. Anyway I just thought it was interesting. Especially sicne North West Arkansas tends to be very GOP.

Well he is for immigration reform which he did not back away from so I like that. For Gay marriage it appears don't like that. I am afraid to think what his position on abortion is.

Still I thought that was a interesting local race that shows a demographic of that area.

(Update) I mentioned in the comments that when I am up there I am perhaps confusing a lot of towns that run into each other as being all one town.

4 comments:

Pro Ecclesia said...

College towns are generally quite liberal, even in conservative states.

James H said...

True that is true. I guess I was a tad shocked how Progressive it was. Of course I also might be confusing part of the town. You know how sometimes they merge into other towns and to an outsider you just call it for instance all Fayetteville

Andy said...

I know when they had the flag referendum in Mississippi a few years ago, the 1894 flag (with confederate canton) won every majority white county in the state, except two, Madison and Oktibbeha (home of Miss. St). Lafayette County (home of Ole Miss) was close. On the other hand, the 1894 flag won in nearly half of the majority black counties in the state as well. This to me shows the main proponents of the new flag were liberal whites and a majority (prob 65-35 for the new flag) of blacks.

Given how well the new flag did in college counties, they would seem to contain more than their fair share of liberal whites. However spending your life in academia (as opposed to the real world) will do that to you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this paragraph is nice, my younger sister is analyzing
these things, thus I am going to tell her.

Also visit my web page extlinks