Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What Likely Happened With The O’Keefe / Landrieu Office Stunt

I pretty much agree with this.

Here’s my initial reaction. First, given the facts of the case as reported so far, I doubt the kids were trying to install some kind of wiretap on the senator’s office phone system. I doubt they would even have the expertise to pull that off. What I think they were really doing was recording video (and audio, thus the reported use of listening equipment by one of the kids outside the building) of a fake repair visit in order to create a piece ridiculing Landrieu for voting for Obamacare despite the legions of phone calls from constituents against the bill. “Why didn’t she listen to the voters?” the gist of the stunt might be. “Were her phones not working?”.

More at the link.

Reasons I think this:

Well first these guys (at least most of them don't seem the wiretapping type. It seems a very un Libertarian thing to do

One of the attorneys had made comments of the "Oh boys will be boys" nature.

There appears to be no indication any wiretapping items was found on them. Asking for access to the Telephone/communication closet was part of the ruse (which seems the most stupid part of the plan)

These guys seemed non bothered by this as they were leaving jail. Shouting phrases in Latin and stuff.

I have a hard time imaging Robert Flanagan trying to tap someones' phone. Though his stupidity here is huge. I mean even if all this was innocent this was going to cause problems for his dad who is a well respected Acting U.S. Attorney in charge of the Western District of Louisiana.

Still a stupid move. I am perhaps wrong on all this but what has been presented so far I think this is the most likely scenario.

1 comment:

John's Space said...

I agree with you. The tapping thing just doesn't make sense. That's just liberal having a fantasy. I think they may have been trying to show that when they called that the phone didn't ring.