Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Republican Defends Landrieu and the "Louisiana Purchase"

That Republican being me. Though I am Vitter supporter I am not going to down his likely democrat's opponent on this comment

“Senator Landrieu found one possible solution, and, although I opposed the health-care bill in the House, I’m glad she found a way to help Louisiana,” Melancon said.

Vitter replied:
“I’m afraid that legitimate arguments in favor of the Louisiana hurricane-Medicaid fix will never be focused on now because of the deal-making over the Obama health-care bill,” Vitter said.

They are both right. Louisiana was not getting some extra freebee with these funds. It was to correct a bizarre consequence in computation that resulted from the Hurricanes.

My main complaint was that Mary Landrieu did not get this deal attached to another piece of legislation that was not the Health Care Bill. From a political standpoint that seems folly.

Regardless there has not been a lot of outrage from the Vitter and especially the Jindal camp on the "Louisiana Purchase". I understand why that is so.

But here is the real question and what is frustrating. Conservatives missed an opportunity here. In fact liberals and conservatives are asking and focusing on all the wrong things. here. Only one Conservative blog of note seemed to pick up on it that I saw.

The real issue is why is Obama and the Senate Democrats holding Louisiana and its poor hostage like this. Why did this deal have to be made at all. It was common sense. Yet the supposed "we are out for the poor" democrats and Obama administration seemed to link their support to a important measure to her vote.

That is the real issue that has sadly been missed. The Charade continues.

No comments: