Monday, November 23, 2009

Congressman Cao Says He Is a Republican Because They Are Pro-Life

An interesting interview in the New York Times with Congressman Cao of New Orleans. What I find really interesting is just the bold assertions the questioner takes as fact!! Cao does a good job of slamming those down. No wonder the New York Times has has such a cartoon version of us.

On why he is a Republican:
"Because of their strong pro-life stance. That alone".

On if he has been punished?

"Correct. Actually, I just had lunch with Eric Cantor down here in New Orleans, and he was very supportive of who I am and what I have to do to represent the district. He fully understands the politics of the district."

Now get this "Question"

Do you find it awkward being a Republican whose ideas on both economic and social policy diverge from those of your party?

It’s not awkward because we’re all professionals. We know that we are a diverse group.

Republicans need you precisely because they’re not a diverse group. They like having you because you’re not another pale white face.
I believe that they like me for who I am, not because they want the Republican Party to look something different than just white.

Again I have no illusion about Cao and I like him. I suspect he is more "liberal" than I am. He is basically Lindy Boggs with a (R) by his name. As I have said for that district I can very much live with a Lindy Boggs type person that is Pro-life and was concerned about communism and other tyranny. Two viewpoints that have now been downgraded in the other party. It helps that I like Lindy Boggs. The diminishing of of people like Lindy and her husband Hale real power is one reason the democrats had so many defections.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

James,

The problem in the United States is that there are only 2 major political parties.

Now, I'm not suggesting something akin to Italian politics; nor, even Belgian politics, with which I am much more familiar.

But, a true 3rd party that can balance the pure economic individualism of the GOP on the one hand with the pure social individualism of the Democrats on the other.

I think that Cao - and many, many Americans - would fit right in.

The 2-party system in America keeps real progress from happening.

James H said...

I giess I have real dounts that a two party will ever emerge

First because I think American's political attention is so short it will be hard for it to thrive

Second, one you get get a past a couple issues it seems these parties fracture so quick