Thursday, March 26, 2009

About these Proposals to Propose Drug Testing for Unemployment, Welfare Benefits

You know If people wish to do this ( I am not a big fan of this idea at all) I think we need to be fair.

DISSENTING JUSTICE seems to to have a similar idea to this that I do. He says in part:

Proponents of the legislation in other states have linked the tests to fiscal soundness and protection of taxpayers. But I have a question for legislators who believe the drug tests will protect taxpayers: Why not sponsor legislation requiring anyone -- including legislators, governors, judges, recipients of small business assistance or "farm aid," pensioners, owners of companies receiving tax abatements, participants in state-sponsored health care for the elderly, students receiving financial assistance or scholarships, and university professors -- who receives state subsidies, financial assistance, or tax dollars to submit to drug screening? In order to avoid the very reasonable claim that they are targeting poor people, they should broaden their proposals.

I mean why not? I Louisiana if you are on a TOPs scholarship that allows you to have excess funds to by drugs why not test you? Everytime I mention this I get some degree of silence from my conservative friends?
Maybe it is because they realize their child at LSU might be likely to lose their Federal Student loans because they smoked some weed. Ouch that effects me!!!

See Targeting the Poor: Some States Propose Drug Testing for Unemployment, Welfare Benefits

1 comment:

Darren Lenard Hutchinson said...

Hello, Opinionated Catholic. Thanks for the citation. And I think you are right - people would resist these types of measures if their kids could be denied college assistance.