Friday, December 19, 2008

Vegas Catholic Confessions- What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas

There is a interesting article on Catholic Church in Las Vegas here at the LA Times travel section Catholic Church keeps vigil in Las Vegas

Tip of the hat to CVSTOS FIDEI THURSDAY

This part sort of struck me

Though the McCluskeys are certainly among the faithful, many of those who find their way to the cathedral are clearly in need of absolution. Confessions are heard before Mass every day except Sunday. And according to the rector, Father Lawrence Lentz, people often share with him their indulgence in the various sins for which Vegas is known including the overconsumption of alcohol and prostitution.
"It's not uncommon for somebody to come to confession and indicate that it's been maybe six months or a year" since their last confession, Lentz says. "I'll ask, 'Why so long?' And they'll say, 'Well, Father, that's the last time we were here.' I guess it offers a kind of anonymity for them that they don't find at home."


I think that is a interesting insight and I have to admit when I am traveling I like to go to Confession.

I also think it sort of highlights a potential problem. I get the impression and I sort of felt it that there was a move to make Catholics go from "Behind the screen" to face to face with the Priest in confession. In fact I have walked into a confession booth and sometimes there is no barrier or screen and just two chairs.

Now I know the whole reasons offered for face to face confession but perhaps a effort should be made to do both and remind Catholics they have that option and they are not being Pre Vatican II relics if they take the more anonymous route.

2 comments:

Matthew Veasey said...

Hi. Found your post in doing a Google search on 'face-to-face confessions' and thought I would share my own experience. Just went to my first face-to-face this past Saturday, and it was a good experience. Now let me preface with the fact that I last went to confession about two months ago, and did not have too much to confess this time, certainly nothing 'major'. I did, however, have something slightly embarrassing to cover, so it wasn't a complete cakewalk. What I might suggest for someone like me, who just wanted to try it, is to make a good confession the old fashioned way one week. Then get back in and try the face-to-face while you have only small things to confess. This should ease your own mind, and make it rather enjoyable, more of a conversation. God bless.(www.mattveasey.com)

James H said...

Thansk for your comments. Yeah I uisually do both. Part of the reason is that I am in a small Parish and I go heck the Preist will recognize my voice anyway so that is the point of going behind the screen lol. I do enjoy it going behind when I travel though that is weird because this priest when I travel will never liekly see me again