Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Is The Catholic Coalition To Oppose F.O.C.A. Already Falling Apart

I am very worried. F.O.C.A is the Free of Choice Act that President Elect Obama wishes to enact. In the days after the election were were assured by Obama Catholic Supporters of Faith they would oppose this.

Now I am seeing worrisome signs. I mentioned in passing the other day that one of the leading more Catholic left poltical magazines America starting downplaying FOCA concerns. Today one of the leading Catholic Law Profs at the Catholic legal site Mirrors of Justice linked with approval to this article at Commonweal (the other more left or progressive Catholic publication of record ) The FOCA Phantom: What will pro-lifers do without it? . That article completed the chain by linking to the granddaddy of Catholic Left and I hate to say dissent The National Catholic Reporter and their article How a bill doesn't become a law.

I discussed my thoughts on the Commonweal article and NCR article here at Commonweal Magazine- Fear of Freedom of Choice Act Passage Is Monkeyshines of Far Right Catholics

Now I check into Vox Nova and see these same talking points parroted at this entry On Outspoken Bishops

Good Grief. In many of the above article the concerns seems to "far right Catholics'. So much for all that Catholic vision of Politics goes beyond parties. I am getting the impression that some more "left" catholics might think they will get cooties from some their Catholic brothers and sisters on the other side of the political aisle.

Excuse me as perhaps being a tad parnoid. But as a Republcian Catholic of Faith that took arrows over immigration reform along with Catholic Senator Sam Brownback and non Catholics Bush and McCain I am tad anxious in getting stabbed in the back again by the "authentic" Catholic Social Justice crowd.

The fact that many of the articles seem to focus on supposed "right wing Catholics" and the not the main issue- that is that FOCA does not meet the light of day makes me worried.

No comments: